Matcha Green Tea Drinks And Recipes: before we have a look at some matcha green tea recipes, let’s understand what it takes to prepare good quality matcha green tea as a drink.
Basic Matcha Teaware
The equipment required for the making of matcha are:
· Tea bowl: Large enough to whisk the fine powder tea around 120 ml.
· Tea whisk: Matcha whisk or chasen, is a bamboo whisk with fine bristles to whisk or whip the tea foam.
· Teaspoon: chashaku, also called tea scoop, is a bamboo spoon to measure the powder tea into the tea bowl. Not the same as a Western teaspoon.
· Tea caddy: natsume, is a container for the matcha powder tea.
There are two main ways of preparing matcha: thick, koicha, and thin, usucha.
Matcha Green Tea Recipes
Two of the most famous matcha green tea recipes are definitely matcha ice cream and matcha cakes.
Matcha Ice Cream
1 tablespoon matcha green tea powder, or more to taste
250ml whole milk
500ml whipping cream
150g caster sugar
Whisk matcha powder in a bowl to remove any lumps; add a splash of milk and whisk until matcha powder is completely dissolved. Gradually whisk remaining milk into matcha mixture.
Combine cream and matcha mixture in a pot over medium-low heat; cook, stirring occasionally until heated through, about 5 minutes.
Whisk sugar and eggs together in a bowl.
Pour 120ml hot matcha mixture into egg mixture; mix thoroughly. Repeat with remaining matcha mixture. Pour mixture back into the pot.
Cook and stir matcha mixture over medium-low heat until heated through about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours.
Pour cooled matcha mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
· 4 large egg whites
· 4 large egg yolks, room temperature
· 3/4 cup granulated sugar
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
· 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
· 1/2 tablespoon matcha green tea powder
· 2 cups milk, lukewarm
· Confectioner’s sugar, for dusting
Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
Set aside. Place the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and beat until they lighten in colour. Add the vanilla extract and butter and beat until combined.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour and matcha green tea powder, then add to the wet mixture and mix until just combined. Gradually add the milk and mix until well combined.
Add the beaten egg whites in thirds, folding with a spatula until just combined.
Pour the batter into a buttered 8’x8′ square cake pan and bake at 325F for 40-50 minutes, until the cake doesn’t jiggle when you gently shake the pan. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and transfer to a wire rack. Cool completely before serving.
To serve, dust the surface with confectioner’s sugar and enjoy this delicious healthy recipe!